Thursday, May 12, 2011

80 years old today!!

It's hard to believe it, but my father turned 80 today!!
80 and in good health...80 and still in good spirits.

"As for the days of our life, they contain seventy years,
Of if due to strength, eighty years." Psalm 90:10

Due to strength.
That's it.
That's mon papa.

Strong.
Strong-willed.
Strong-armed.

Armed with joy, yes, the strengthening joy of the Lord. (Nehemiah 8:10)
Always joyful. (Philippians 4:4) 
No matter if betrayed, used, or abused.
Remaining joyful.
Not letting bitterness set foot in his heart.
Forgiving, and remaining strong.

Always teaching joy.
With that infectious laugh,
Always bearing gifts of joy.

Oh, the memories of laughter at dinner!
The countless stories that would have to
Come out in spurts between teary, cackling bouts.
The stories that would have us all in stitches
Merely because he was.

Oh, the scares!
The stories that would make my head reel.
How could he! Why would he!

Oh, the joyful songs!
The singing of happy jibberish that
Accompanied us whenever on our way.
Dee-bee-doo-bee-dah...

Oh, the big dreams!
The need to conquer the world.
The 10 children, the buildings, the restaurant,
The bowling alley, the motel, the train.

Oh, the prayers!
The praying when the dream became
A challenge too overwhelming for him.
The calling on the Holy Spirit for help.
The trusting in the everlasting arm.

Oh, Daddy!
Just watching you live has taught me so much.
I pray I'll be able to receive many more memorable lessons from you!
I pray strength and joy will also be my trademarks when I'm your age.
Comme je t'aime, cher papa!!


  
Dad in December with his youngest (my only younger sibling, Myriam)








No comments:

Post a Comment