Sunday, May 29, 2011

When Plan B is So Much Better!

Last Sunday, we had made plans to go hiking and everyone, including Jason, seemed great with the idea.  So it took me a bit by surprise when Andrew suddenly announced that we'd be staying home.

A bit later, I understood why.
 My guess is that, during lunch, he took one too many glances at our tall plum tree in the backyard and decided there and then he couldn't wait one more moment to climb it and prune off its suckers and unruly branches.  He'd borrowed the tools from his dad and so he knew he was all ready to go.

The truth is, he was more than eager to get going. One thing I've learned over the years is that Andrew gets a lot of satisfaction from pruning trees. He always has. And he always seems to know how to make it look right. And of course, he's doubly-motivated when the tree in question has been shedding leaves on our pool and giving our yard too much shade.

Once I knew the reason, I was happy with plan B. I actually think the kids benefited more from the work it provided them than a hike could have done for them. They spent a good chunk of the afternoon picking up sticks and learning how to turn work into fun.  In case you are wondering what I was doing while this was going on, I was definitely praying. I think you'll understand why after the video below.



You might not be able to tell, but he's REALLY enjoying himself!


They couldn't believe how much he'd cut off...and he wasn't done...not even close!


The work begins!




Are you sure about this, Andrew?

Our pile is growing and growing....


Looking better and better!


3 comments:

  1. I love they were all out there together...working together! ;)


    The great thing, if one can, is to stop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions of one's "own," or "real" life.
    The truth is of course that what one calls the interruptions are precisely one's real life --
    the life God is sending one day by day.
    — C.S. Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that quote!! It was my favorite from yesterday's post. I should add it somewhere on this blog....as a reminder. Maybe I'll set up a page with my favorite quotes someday soon...when my headache isn't soooo incapacitating. AArghh!

    ReplyDelete